Credit Where It Is Due

Credit Where It is Due

I like to make photographs, and I enjoy being praised for what I have done. But God teaches a different attitude, one of thankfulness and humility. He pointed that out to me recently. I DO NOT MAKE THESE PHOTOGRAPHS ALONE. I didn't create the light, or the technology which makes photography possible. I didn't buy my camera, it was a gift from my husband. I didn't give myself the ability to see through the camera in order to make an image which others find pleasing. It is right to use what I have been given to the best of my ability, but it is wrong to take credit for what I have not done. God made the light, the elements which are used to manufacture the camera, and the world from which these images come. He has given me gifts: people to teach me, eyes to see with, and a brain to process information. I am thankful for these gifts. He deserves all the praise, not I.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Variations on a Theme: Alder Catkins

I have been playing with Picasa recently, and I thought I would share some of the results.

I like alder catkins, or flowers, and I am thankful that we have alder trees growing around our property. One day last week I took this picture:
I like it...
but I decided to focus in on a smaller portion, so I cropped it down:
This is nicer, the catkins droop gracefully, the cones from last year give spikey contrast, the branches hold it together, and the sky makes a good background.

Next, I reversed the colors, so it looks like a color negative:
Cool!

Returning to the original colors, and posterizing:   
                                 
I played with the slider to increase the number of colors until I liked the result.

Next (and last), the posterized edit with Duo-Tone:
There are a lot of color options for foreground and background in this tool. I don't remember which ones I used, but I think the result is really pretty.

I had a lot of fun playing around, I may show you more in later posts!


13 comments:

Viola said...

It's real fun to play with photos like you have done here! =) and they are beautiful!
each one giving a different feeling.. :) exciting!

Hanne Bente said...

Good morning Dimple.
Great pictures you show of a tree with catkins.
Wishing you a happy Easter Sunday.
Hugs Hanne Bente

Leovi said...

That delicious, sweet pictures, I am filled with peace, lovely variations

EG CameraGirl said...

I think alder catkins are lovely too. I like how you've played with your photo!

Robert Nicolaescu said...

I like Picasa too. Best wishes!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You are having lots of fun -- I didn't know about that reverse the color thing -- as I said, you play much better than I do! Thanks for sharing and giving me more ideas and something to aim for!!

DUTA said...

I like both the original pictures and the ones tht are the result of your playing with colors.
When it comes to photos and colors, you reveal real mastership.

DUTA said...

I like both the original pictures and the ones tht are the result of your playing with colors.
When it comes to photos and colors, you reveal real mastership.

☆•.¸.Mildred.¸.•☆ said...

Very nice variations! Can't decide which one to pick. Love them all!
Thanks for sharing. And thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment;o)

***
Hope you are having a fabulous week****

NitWit1 said...

Personally I think Picasa does about as much as most of us need in photo editing and much less expensive (free can't be beat) than Photoshop Elements. I have several photoediting programs, but little time to be creative, it seems.

knitwit said...

Amazing photos! Sometimes I think technology is such a curse, but here you've reminded me that it has its uses too. Very cool!

Maggie May said...

Sounds like you're having really good fun and the results are very pleasing.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Crown of Beauty said...

Your photos are amazing!

It is always a joy for me to see what new picture you have posted.

Love
Lidia