Credit Where It Is Due

Credit Where It is Due

I like to make photographs, and I enjoy being praised for what I have done. But God teaches a different attitude, one of thankfulness and humility. He pointed that out to me recently. I DO NOT MAKE THESE PHOTOGRAPHS ALONE. I didn't create the light, or the technology which makes photography possible. I didn't buy my camera, it was a gift from my husband. I didn't give myself the ability to see through the camera in order to make an image which others find pleasing. It is right to use what I have been given to the best of my ability, but it is wrong to take credit for what I have not done. God made the light, the elements which are used to manufacture the camera, and the world from which these images come. He has given me gifts: people to teach me, eyes to see with, and a brain to process information. I am thankful for these gifts. He deserves all the praise, not I.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Ruby Tuesday-New Orleans, Louisiana

This memorializes the destruction of New Orleans
by hurricanes Katrina and Rita,
August and September 2005.
It is located in the Lower Ninth Ward, where the devastation was greatest.
Notice the empty chairs.

The sign in the window of the memorial vows that they will rebuild.

But after three years, in May 2008 when these were taken,
There was still much to be done.

Don't believe when you see on the news that New Orleans is fine now. It isn't.

For more Ruby Tuesday click here.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder; we are so prompt to forget.

moosh said...

I know it is still bad. We have friends that still live there and keep us informed.It will never be the same but I pray things get better. HRT

Miranda said...

It's so sad. I had tickets to go to New orleans, when that happened, so we cancelled. Ended up evacuating Rita in Texas...ughs.

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my RT, nice that you checked my profile.

And how sad that nothing has changed in New Orleans, I would have loved to have seen it as it was, probably will never get to see it as it is either. I would dearly love to visit America. Have a great RT! :)

Leora said...

It must be very difficult to have a place so vibrant experience such loss. I wonder how they decide what is an appropriate memorial. Empty chairs, emptiness in general, makes some sense.

Anonymous said...

I remember the horror! Thanks for keeping us in touch with our memories - the fight for better life there is going on every day!

nonizamboni said...

Thanks for the reminder with these great photos. . .its so easy to forget when it doesn't affect us directly.
Happy Tuesday!

Lindy said...

I would imagine it will take several years to rebuild. The damage was just too much. It is good that you put the reminder out there again.

Meikah said...

I'm reminded again of that incident, and am saddened. Those red chairs look so lonely, too. Nice take on the theme! :)

Here's my entry.

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Dimples. Nice to meet you. Excellent contribution for Ruby Tuesday and very instructive. Thanks for the reminder that things are still very bad there.

Nukke said...

New Orleans in memories !

Digital Flower Pictures said...

These are powerful pictures.

Unknown said...

It's a moving memorial. Let's hope that the dedication that got the memorial placed will drive continued restoration efforts.

Momgen said...

Oh memories that is sad you really never know ahead. My first entry is up.

My first entry is here

Dianne said...

I have a friend in Miss. whose church regularly returns to NO to keep cleaning up and building, I send her some money when I can

it is a national disgrace - then and now

thank you for the reminder and I hope you know here are many of us who don't believe what the news tells us.

Stephanie V said...

Sad memorial for a great tragedy. It would be nice to think it's all fixed - thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

I was unaware of this memorial. Thanks for bringing it to our attention here.
Hugs and blessings,

DUTA said...

I ask myself whether this kind of destruction could be prevented or minimized in some way. Like in medicine - "prevention is the best cure"

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

New Orleans destroyed—
who will rebuild the city?
Where are its lovers?

My Ruby Tuesday