Credit Where It Is Due

Credit Where It is Due

I like to make photographs, and I enjoy being praised for what I have done. But God teaches a different attitude, one of thankfulness and humility. He pointed that out to me recently. I DO NOT MAKE THESE PHOTOGRAPHS ALONE. I didn't create the light, or the technology which makes photography possible. I didn't buy my camera, it was a gift from my husband. I didn't give myself the ability to see through the camera in order to make an image which others find pleasing. It is right to use what I have been given to the best of my ability, but it is wrong to take credit for what I have not done. God made the light, the elements which are used to manufacture the camera, and the world from which these images come. He has given me gifts: people to teach me, eyes to see with, and a brain to process information. I am thankful for these gifts. He deserves all the praise, not I.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Soaring

Walking one day, eyes on the ground
What are those shadows, soaring around?

Quickly lifting my gaze, this sight met my eyes:
Long-pinioned birds, sailing the skies!

(The birds are turkey vultures.)



23 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I wouldn't have guessed turkey vultures. We don't seem to have too many of those around here.

Ms. Becky said...

I love the perspective - it's soaring!!! happy SWF to you Dimple.

Nancy said...

I love how these birds circle and soar above... great captures and prose. :)

Anonymous said...

I love big soaring birds. There are red-tailed hawks that nest near where I live and sometimes they visit my balcony. I am blessed to see them perched quietly and to see them open their wings and soar.

Kim, USA said...

Great shots!! I haven't taken any photos like this thanks for sharing!

SWF

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

...and turkey vultures appear where there is carrion...

SKY DITTY

Sky above and earth below—
Onward on my way I go;
Earth below and sky above—
I am satisfied, my love.


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Cemetery Sky

Karen said...

Love the sun peeking from behind the trees!

forgetmenot said...

And soaring they are in that lovely sky. Nice post. Love the poem. Have a great weekend. Mickie :)

rjerdee said...

Wow, you're a poet! I especially love the words, "sailing the skies!"

DUTA said...

Looking upwards we meet two lovely elements: the sun and the bird. The sun dominates the sky in both pictures as the bird looks tiny in comparison, yet the bird seems to be the more active of the two, "soaring around and sailing the skies".
This picture has it all: beauty, action, sky and earth.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

We often see vultures from our yard in Florida and we've talked about how lovely they are when soaring, not so lovely on the ground (but they do their job as nature intended!)

Cheryl said...

When I was a kid, I used to think they were bald eagles circling the farm. Vultures are a little less elegant sounding but they're gorgeous to watch.

Sweet captures.

eileeninmd said...

I love watching the vultures soaring the skies, great photos.

Anonymous said...

What marvellous shots.

Carletta said...

Love the poem! Your photos lovely as well.
Soaring - the best way to view a vulture. ;)
Carletta@Round The Bend

Andy said...

I saw my first Turkey Vultures driving south to Florida. There were none in my area of Canada. Now they are a common sight here. The trick is to keep your body moving when they circling over head:-)

EG CameraGirl said...

Turkey vultures love the road kill on out highways here. People drive too fast for some animals to cross the road, I guess, And the turkey vultures help clean up the mess.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

They are big birds, nice shots.

Linda said...

Wonderful sooc shots!! Happy Sunday!! :)

Anonymous said...

Great shots. I love the bright blue sky.

Teresa

Unknown said...

Nice shots! Love the blue sky and the environment too :)

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Very nice photos.

Regards!

Jan said...

Great shots of the birds. I like your composition and the sunflare in the top one.